The primary purpose of this position is to support the provision of the Development Management Service for the Client.
- Evaluate and assess a variety of applications submitted to the Local Planning Authority, considering Development Plan Policies and other relevant factors.
- Maintain accurate and dependable digital records related to casework.
- Draft recommendations and Committee reports for a high volume of planning proposals within specified timeframes.
- Engage in negotiations to enhance planning proposals.
- Deliver excellent customer service by advising applicants/agents throughout the planning proposal process and providing pre-application guidance on planning issues and policies.
- Attend Committee meetings, Site Inspection Parties, and similar gatherings involving Councillors as required by the Business Manager – Strategic Place.
- Prepare appeal statements and provide testimony during planning appeals.
- Conduct investigations, including site inspections, to ensure compliance with planning conditions, address complaints related to Planning Services, and collaborate with and advise the enforcement team on planning control breaches.
- Undertake other planning-related duties as needed, commensurate with the position’s grade and responsibilities.
Key Success and Behavioural Factors
Planning Officers actively seek opportunities for self-development and stay current with professional knowledge and skills. They are conscientious and take ownership of their work in terms of approach, timeliness, and outcomes. They foster open sharing of ideas and collaborate to achieve positive results for the community, customers, and teams.
Person Specification Summary
- Further and/or Higher Education qualifications in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Pursuing or holding a degree in Town Planning and membership of the RTPI (Royal Town Planning Institute).
- Relevant transferable experience.
- Relevant experience in a local planning authority.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary contract
Contract length: 7 months
Expected hours: 37 per week
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Newton Abbot: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)